[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: A good time to switch to dash as /bin/sh?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Sep 27 07:23:25 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-09-27 at 09:04 +0200, Florian Pelz wrote:
> On 09/27/2014 09:01 AM, Benjamin A. Shelton wrote:
> > On 09/26/2014 05:11 PM, Doug Newgard wrote:
> >>
> >> I should qualify that in that I don't think adding another
> >> package to base is a good idea *unless* there is a significant
> >> benefit to doing so. The plan to add dash to base when Arch was
> >> using initscripts made sense, it doesn't now that we're using
> >> systemd. There's already too much in base IMO.
> >>
> >> Doug
> >
> > By that reasoning, if the intent is to make base leaner, then bash
> > ought to be replaced with dash (mkinitcpio and others
> > notwithstanding). :)
> >
> > Benjamin
>
> Regardless of what's the default, could there be a cleaner way to use
> dash as one's /bin/sh without preventing pacman from upgrading bash?

I would add usr/bin/sh to my pacman.conf's NoExtract, then bash would be
updated, but the link wouldn't be overwritten, I'm already using it for
other reasons:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Ql bash | grep /usr/bin/sh
bash /usr/bin/sh
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep NoExtract /etc/pacman.conf
NoExtract   = usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop usr/share/xsessions/gnome-fallback.desktop usr/share/xsessions/gnome-flashback-compiz.desktop usr/share/xsessions/openbox-kde.desktop