[arch-general] Kernel Module snd_seq_midi No Longer Inserted Automatically

Joakim Hernberg jhernberg at alchemy.lu
Fri Apr 10 10:22:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 20:01:38 -0700
Steven Grace <sgrace at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 04/09/2015 07:39 PM, Steven Grace wrote:
>
> Thanks to Troy for pointing me to package "linux" being the root of
> the problem. I found existing Arch bug #44286 for this issue; it's
> marked closed at the moment but others are requesting it to be
> re-opened (and rightly so, in my opinion).
>
> I'm not looking for any further assistance; I'll monitor the bug
> page. Thanks.

I'll drop this in anyways :)

I remember having a similar problem a year or two ago.  I added snd_seq
to /etc/modules-load.d/modules-load.conf to fix the problem.

I hardly ever use midi so really don't know if it's still working, but
lsmod | grep midi gives me the following (note that I'm booted into a
3.18-rt kernel and not the distro kernel):

snd_seq_midi           13564  0
snd_seq_midi_event     14935  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi            30863  2 snd_hdsp,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                71606  3 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device         14497  4 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_midi
snd                    87720  31 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_aloop,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device,snd_hdsp

And aconnect -i:

client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 20: 'Hammerfall DSP' [type=kernel]
    0 'HDSP MIDI 1     '

Best of luck :)

--

   Joakim