[arch-general] /etc/bash.bashrc not sourcing/setting HISTXXX environment

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Apr 10 23:56:00 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 01:10 PM, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 2:20 PM, LoneVVolf <lonewolf at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> On 07-04-15 03:41, David C. Rankin wrote:
>>>
>>>    I generally create a system-wide /etc/bash.bashrc.local file to contain
>>> history defaults. E.g.:
>>
>> Verfiy your /etc/profile and are you sure you are running the command from
>> an interactive login shell ?
>
> See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bash#Configuration_files

Now I'm confused. All the shells launched are logon shells as they are what
occurs after I ssh into the box. According to the link above concerning
/etc/profile:

<quote>

An interactive shell that is also a login shell (for example, from
/usr/bin/login). Sources application settings in /etc/profile.d/*.sh, and
/etc/bash.bashrc.

</quote>

/etc/profile does indeed source /etc/bash.bashrc

# Source global bash config
if test "$PS1" && test "$BASH" && test -r /etc/bash.bashrc; then
         . /etc/bash.bashrc
fi

Now the test

test "$PS1" && test "$BASH"

is doing what? Limiting it to an interactive non-logon invocation?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.