[arch-general] Unzip archive in which are multiple sub zip archiers?

Christian Demsar vixsomnis at fastmail.com
Fri Apr 17 20:19:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015, at 01:12 PM, Csányi Pál wrote:

> >>That doesn't sound like a common enough use case that someone would
> >>have
> >>written a program just for that purpose. But you could write a simple
> >>shell
> >>script (or whatever you prefer) to recursively unzip a bunch of zip
> >>files.
> >>Keep in mind not to unzip the same files forever of course.
>
> > If you're not familiar with shell scripting I can write one (with detailed comments). I need the practice.
>
> OK, write one and I'm willing to try it out and modify if it would
> have GPL licence. :)
> I'm newbie in bash shell scripting.
>
> --
> Regards from Pal

http://pastebin.com/YJFvUt13

It works on my (single) test case so far. I don't have any more time to work in this right now, but I'll test edge cases and add more comments later (feedback is welcome).

If you use this, please, please, please back up your zip file in a different directory. I haven't tested it thoroughly enough to be confident that it won't suck your files into the black hole of /dev/null.

On a side note, it does check to make sure the directory doesn't exist, so it shouldn't clobber anything. That goes for the internal zips as well.

The only cryptic thing in the $IFS env var. That's needed for newline delimiters, so I can iterate over the zip files in a directory. I'll experiment with leaving that section out.

There's probably a bash guru out there that can do this with a one-liner, but that's beyond my skills (I'm a newbie at bash, too).

--
vixsomnis