[arch-general] Restoring a Win guest when migrating from one VM to another - Was: pacman's "Depends On"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:31:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 18:18:49 +0100, Mauro Santos wrote:
>You should give qemu+kvm+spice a try, I have found that it seems to
>work acceptably even for usb redirection. Bonus points: no more
>trouble after updates and it should work over the network.

Thank you,

I agree. The reason that I didn't drop Virtualbox and tested other
hosts is, that I don't know how to get my Windows XP SP3 guest from

$ ls -hlG Virt*/winOS/*.vdi
-rw------- 1 rocketmouse 28G Apr 20 23:31 VirtualBox VMs/winOS/winOS.vdi

to another host. It seems to be hard or perhaps impossible to restore a
Win XP from a backup. I at least can't remember that it ever worked for
me.

If possible I want to restore Win XP from a backup, when migrating to
another VM. Any hints how to backup Win XP and restore it on another
virtual machine are welcome.

Regards,
Ralf