[arch-general] Add wpa_supplicant to the Group 'Base'

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 18:46:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 1:32 AM, William Hatch <willghatch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I second the motion for a network group. I've been bitten by a lack of
> wpa_supplicant on a laptop install more than once.

I third the motion, and ask additionally that base not include "good to
have" things that aren't actually necessary for basic booting and running
of an install.

Why do we need TWO text editors installed by default? Why automatically
assume everyone needs RAID, or encrypted filesystems? I am fine with
keeping in tools for not-so-common filesystem types, though I will still
remove them myself.

All these are things that it can be reasonably expected many many people
won't ever use.
base should be restricted to things that everyone agrees should be part of
an Arch system.

If base doesn't try telling us what bootloader to use, why should it tell
us what editor to use?

-- Eli Schwartz