[arch-general] Upgrading from linux 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 without reboot

Chi Hsuan Yen yan12125 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 16:21:05 UTC 2015

On 30 April 2015 at 00:08, Dan Haworth <dan at xigen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 29/04/15 16:50, Chi Hsuan Yen wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded to linux 4.0.1-1 in [core] from linux 4.0.0-2 in
>> [testing].
>> In recent days, I've heard of lots of news that since kernel 4.0, no
>> reboot
>> is necessary for upgrading kernel. However, uname still gives me the old
>> kernel version:
>>
>> $ uname -r
>> 4.0.0-2-ARCH
>>
>> Is it necessary to run additional commands for completing kernel
>> upgrading,
>> or do I have to wait for some time? If I have to wait, how long should I
>> wait for?
>>
>> Thanks for any related information or opinions!
>>
> According to my understanding, 4.0 just implements the groundwork required
> for rebootless patching of the kernel, there's still a lot of work to be
> done to implement this in the long run - specially for a desktop system. I
> wouldn't plan on seeing true no reboot patching of the kernel for a while
> yet.
>
> Although, I do agree, I'm looking foward to that day!
>
> Dan

Thanks a lot Dan, and it's obvious that I misunderstood something. I've
looked into several technical or non-technical descriptions, but seen
nothing about how to really activate the feature, such as commands or
configuration files, but potential benefits from it. As a result, I think
such a process takes place automatically without user intervention. After
all, thanks all for the quick response!

Best Regards,

Yen Chi Hsuan