[arch-general] at times when booting system-logind fails and system hangs

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 22:24:47 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM, Javier Vasquez
<j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't identified under which circumstances, when booting the
> system hangs, and the only thing that can be related to that is the
> message:
>
> Failed to start Login Service
>
> Of course the recommendation to see the output of:
>
> systemctl status systemd-logind.service
>
> Is useless when that happens.  That because the system hangs.
>
> A phisical hard power down is what I've done, and then usually by
> starting the system again everything works.
>
> Has anyone experienced this?  Any suggestion?

You can enable the debug shell with:

# systemctl enable debug-shell.service

And then when the boot fails, switch to the debugging shell with
CTRL+ALT+F9 and get the status of the system:

# systemctl status systemd-logind.service
# journalctl
# systemctl list-jobs

Do not forget to disable the debug-shell.service when/if your problem
is solved or it will become a big security hole.