[arch-general] Anyone using virtualbox-5.0.0 yet?

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 19:32:17 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 19:56:50 +0200
H8H <h8h at dev-nu11.de> wrote:

> so far no problems here, i've some trouble with the vbox extension
> pack, updating does not work, but uninstalling and installing the new
> one fixed it.
>
> I run windows xp, 7, 10 without any problems and some vagrant (linux)
> containers.
>
> sorry walt, but what problem do you exactly have?

I'm off topic here (my problem happened on gentoo, not Arch) but in
case it might be useful to someone:

I upgraded from vbox-4.3.30 along with the matching extensions and fired
up my gentoo vbox guest machine (this was an existing guest, not a
newly created one) did the usual update process and then saved a new
snapshot.

All of that seemed to work normally until I tried to restart the guest
machine and got lots of error messages from vbox that it couldn't load
(or parse) some of the files defining the guest, i.e. on my host
machine, these files:

ls -l ~/VBoxVMs/gentoo/
total 21162196
drwx------ 2 wa1ter wa1ter        4096 Aug  2 07:02 Logs
drwx------ 2 wa1ter wa1ter        4096 Aug  2 09:20 Snapshots
-rw------- 1 wa1ter wa1ter       54745 Aug  2 09:20 gentoo.vbox
-rw------- 1 wa1ter wa1ter       54745 Aug  2 09:20 gentoo.vbox-prev
-rw------- 1 wa1ter wa1ter 21669961728 Jul 29 19:23 gentoo.vdi

I stopped at that point and reverted to vbox-4.3.30 because I just
wanted to avoid any further damage.

When I used vbox-4.3.30 to restart the gentoo guest machine, it wouldn't
run.  I don't recall now what error messages appeared.

I saved gentoo.vdi but deleted the rest of the gentoo guest machine
and recreated it using gentoo.vdi as the starting point.  Everything
returned to normal after that.

I just noticed that gentoo offers two different versions of vbox-5.0.0:
the one I compiled myself using the normal gentoo infrastructure, and a
binary package (virtualbox-bin) which is downloaded directly from the
virtualbox.org website.

I'm wondering now if the package I compiled was faulty somehow.  Based
on all the good reviews in this thread (thanks guys) it seems likely.