[arch-general] systemd-networkd, bridging, and STP

Zach La Celle lacelle at roboticresearch.com
Mon Aug 3 17:41:51 UTC 2015

I'm trying to set up a server network configuration in Arch using
systemd-networkd tools.  The networkd configuration files that I have
are not doing what I think they should be doing.

My setup is this: 4 physical ports -> bond0 -> vlans 2-8 -> a few on
bridges, a few on their own.

First I'll post the two errors I'm seeing, then I'll post my configs
below to help make sense of it.

First error:

systemd-networkd[315]: [/etc/systemd/network/10-create-bond0.netdev:7]
Failed to parse bond transmit hash policy, ignoring: "802.3ad"

Second error, is that I can't get br-devel bridge to use STP:

# brctl show
bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
br-devel        8000.4e565e92019a    no        bond0.3

bond0.6

I have a [Bridge] section in the .network file that sets the bridge
address/network settings, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

__Config Files__

Right now, I have a bond set up:

_10-create-bond0.netdev_
[NetDev]
Name=bond0
Kind=bond

[Bond]
Mode=802.3ad
TransmitHashPolicy=802.3ad
LACPTransmitRate=fast
MIIMonitorSec=0.1
UpDelaySec=0.2
DownDelaySec=0.8

I also have a bridge set up:

_20-create-brdevel.netdev_
[NetDev]
Name=br-devel
Kind=bridge

I then create some VLANs:

_20-create-vlan3.netdev_
[NetDev]
Name=bond0.3
Kind=vlan

[VLAN]
Id=3

_20-create-vlan6.netdev_
[NetDev]
Name=bond0.6
Kind=vlan

[VLAN]
Id=6

Next, I set up the VLAN networks:

_30-setup-vlans.network_
[Match]
Name=bond0

[Network]
VLAN=bond0.3
VLAN=bond0.6

Next, I add the interfaces to the bridge:

_40-add-bond0.3-brdevel.network_
[Match]
Name=bond0.3

[Network]