[arch-general] motherboard change - strategies for saving current install?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Aug 13 02:08:03 UTC 2015

All,

   I lost the disc controller in my arch server this past Sunday. I've ordered a
replacement w/new processor, etc.. My question is what is the best strategy to
save my current install? It's a simple:

"can I boot the install media, assemble raid arrays, chroot old and update, or
do I just dump the root partition and reinstall completely?"

   The hardware change will be from an AM2+ MSI board with Phenom 9850 to a
Gigabyte AM3+ board with FX8350 if that matters. The primary goal is to preserve
the raid arrays and server config for mail, web, etc...

   I know I can chroot, save the needed configs, reformat root and reinstall,
but what I don't know is if there is an easier way that would avoid the
reformat/reinstall of root?

   This will also be by first UEFI install, but I'm fairly certain the
beginner's guide will get me through if a full reinstall is needed. However,
does that have implications on being able to save the old partitions and my
mdraid arrays? The current setup was a simple MBR, mdraid1 with grub2. I don't
have a EFI system partition, but I believe I left space at the end of my arrays
(I'll have to check if it is a full 512 MiB). I don't know if I can salvage that
setup by adding the EFI system partition at the end? Reading from the beginner's
guide:

   "The target drive requires a GPT partition table, and an EFI System Partition
of at least 512 MiB in size, gdisk type EF00, and formatted with FAT32." That
seems to indicate that any chance of salvaging my current install may be
hopeless due to the current MBR partition table.

   If there is a link that covers this in the wiki, I apologize, I haven't found
it yet. Thanks for any advise or helpful tips you can give.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.