[arch-general] motherboard change - strategies for saving current install?

Łukasz Michalski lm at zork.pl
Thu Aug 13 13:28:23 UTC 2015

On 08/13/2015 04:53 AM, Christian Demsar wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015, at 10:08 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> "can I boot the install media, assemble raid arrays, chroot old and
>> update, or do I just dump the root partition and reinstall
>> completely?"
>
> You'll need to reinstall, I think. According to [1], ESP on RAID is not
> a good idea, which means one of your drives will have to host the EFI
> (and also usually boot) partition.
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI#ESP_on_RAID

I migrated my workstation from old MBR based partition layout to EFI
with boot partition on RAID1 using gummiboot.

Tested boot with first and second drive disconnected and it works fine.

As for migration, you can boot from install media, assemble arrays and
just copy all files from old installation to new one. Then you may have
to setup boot manager, adjust fstab and list of kernel modules to load.

It is worth to update old installation first with pacman and test it
before migration.

Regards,
Łukasz