[arch-general] motherboard change - strategies for saving current install?

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:53:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 2:15 AM, David C. Rankin <
drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

>   Aaron, the board is a GA-990FXA-UD3, and I will be making use of SATA
> 5/6 (6 drives total), so I'll report back on any difficulties with the last
> two drives. My current board (MSI k9n2 SLI platinum) had SATA 1-4 and ESATA
> 5-6 on board. While the 990FXA list the SATA 5-6 as full SATA-III ports, I
> wouldn't be surprised if they were in some way different from the
> primary/secondary controller ports.

That's the same board that I got last week. I don't remember SATA 5-6 being
different from 1-4; where did you see that? When I get back home, I'll
double-check my manual and the box, but I don't see anything online
suggesting that they're any different. I understood that all 6 SATA ports
are SATA revision 3 (I assume that's the same as SATA-III), but I could be
mistaken. I would like to believe that 5-6 are different than the others,
because it would probably explain my earlier difficulties satisfactorily.