[arch-general] motherboard change - strategies for saving current install?

Jens Adam jra at byte.cx
Thu Aug 13 18:25:24 UTC 2015

Thu, 13 Aug 2015 13:43:24 -0400
Aaron Laws <dartme18 at gmail.com>:

> In BIOS, you can set SATA 4-5 (they're numbered base-zero) to
> "IDE" rather than "SATA". I assume this means something like the
> motherboard expects there to be a SATA->IDE adapter in there.

No, that means you're setting those ports to "IDE" / "Legacy" /
"Compatibility" mode.
There might be another option labelled "RAID", activating the
software/pseudo-RAID firmware in the motherboard's BIOS, but you'll
want to select "AHCI". It's what everybody not running the latest
PCIe/M.2 NVMe SSD cards should be using.
Also, run 'lsmod | grep ahci' on your old server; in case it's loaded
you'll have the least trouble switching mainboards because it's the
most compatible standard.

--byte