[arch-general] LTS Kernels

LoneVVolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 22 09:02:56 UTC 2015

On 22-08-15 10:30, bildermejl76 at gmail.com wrote:
> But I wonder if I can install an LTS kernel in an already existing installation as a fallback?

Yes, that's not very hard and a good idea.

> The wiki sounds fairly straight forward, but I get lost where it says "install kernel" without saying how, and to "edit the grub config file" without an explanation, and to "generate the main configuration file".
>

> Not sure whether I am getting in way over my head or if it is actually quite simple. That's what I need to know.
If you use kernel modules that are not part of the stock kernel (like
nvidia , catalyst, vhba-modules ) additonal steps are needed.

For now i'll assume you don't have such modules.

- Almost every time an arch wiki page states "install program" , it
means one of 2 things :
install with pacman
install from AUR with makepkg

The lts kernel is in official repos, so you can install it with pacman.

- to be able to boot the lts-kernel , you have to add an entry to your
bootloader config for it.
Grub stores that info in grub.cfg , grub page lists where it can be found.

As Root :
copy grub.cfg to something like grub.cfg.original
open the file with your fav tekst editor.
Copy the entry for arch stock kernel to a new entry and change what is
needed to have that boot the lts-kernel instead of the stock kernel.

Reboot and test if it works.

LW