[arch-general] Cannot tether from Android using USB or bluetooth

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 03:48:20 UTC 2015

On 08/24/2015 02:13 PM, Alfredo Palhares wrote:
> I enabled the usb tethering on the phone, but ip link didn't show any new
> interface:
>
> <snip>
>
> The important stuff seems to be here:
> rndis_host 1-1:1.0 enp0s20u1: renamed from usb0
> usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 41
> rndis_host 1-1:1.0 enp0s20u1: unregister 'rndis_host' usb-0000:00:14.0-1, RNDIS device
> usb 1-1: new low-speed USB device number 43 using xhci_hcd
>
> The interface comes up but its immediately down, for some weird reason. I can't
> reproduce the problem every time.

On my phone (Nexus 4 running CM 12.1 nightlies which are based on
Android 5.1), activating USB tethering creates another Ethernet device.

The USB disconnect message is disturbing and generally indicates
hardware problems.  Furthermore, it sounds like this issue is
intermittent.  This smells of hardware problems.  I recommend cleaning
the MicroUSB port if it looks dirty.  Unfortunately, there is generally
no easy way to do this without disassembling the phone.

Personal anecdote:  My phone's MicroUSB port (same Nexus 4) once got
dirty enough to the point where the data pins no longer worked.
However, the charge pins *did* work.  I ended up taking the phone apart
to clean the MicroUSB port.  I'm still using that phone to this day.
:-)

--Kyle