[arch-general] Having trouble understanding UEFI booting

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 27 04:17:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 23:50:19 -0400
Ian <ian.ninjabadger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think I have the knowledge to solve your problem, but what is the
> problem you are having?  So far you have just described your partition
> scheme and that you are stuck somewhere.
>
> Which wiki page are you referring to?

Sorry, was up til 3am try to work it out.

wiki pages:

Installation guide and beginners guide and chasing down the links for bootloaders > grub > ...

the final symptom is a failure by grub-install to write x86_64.efi or very similar name.

from what I've looked at this morning I suspect it may relate to not having mounted the EFI system partition but I've confused myself so much I'm not sure and thought it better to reach out rather than blunder about and do more damage.