[arch-general] Having trouble understanding UEFI booting

Christian Demsar vixsomnis at vczf.io
Fri Aug 28 22:57:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015, at 10:17 PM, mick wrote:
> The disk is currently split into 11 partitions
> part    size    code    name
> [...]
> 2       260mb   EF00	  EFI system partition
> [...]
> when installing I have only used partitions 9, 10 & 11. partitions 1 -
> 8 were on the disc from the windows pre-install and shrunk to make way
> for linux.

If you didn't mount your ESP (EFI System Partition), then that's why
your installation failed.

You need to mount the partition of type EF00 (EFI System Partition) on
/boot. By the looks of it, it's your second partition (if your drive is
/dev/sda, then most likely /dev/sda2).

Follow this after you have the partition mounted correctly:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-boot#EFI_boot

Unless you really need GRUB, you should use bootctl.