[arch-general] plasma 5.5 and wayland

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Fri Dec 18 15:08:51 UTC 2015

On गुरूवार 17 डिसें 2015 1:15:57 PM Stefano Avallone wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 08:37:02 PM Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > On मंगळवार 15 डिसें 2015 9:11:15 AM Bhushan Shah wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Shridhar Daithankar

> > > Currently there is bug, due to which you can not start plasma session
> > > on wayland. Please try installing kinit-nooom and see if it fixes
> > > problem?
> >
> > Well, with plasma 5.5.1, I am able to launch the session. There are
> > several
> > small defects as expected, but I have a full working desktop now.
> >
> > Now convincing sddm to show that entry in list of sessions is another
> > matter. Despite of putting following in /usr/share/wayland-sessions, it
> > does not show it. But it understands the entry for Weston somehow.
>
> Did you install plasma-wayland-session?
>
> It is the new split package shipping plasmawayland.desktop

Oh cool! Now I am able to launch the session but as expected, its not feature
complete. In 5 min, I found that

- There is no taskbar,

- font sizing is different than X, had to readjust the sizes

- desktop interaction is not correct, right click menu opened in top left
corner instead of current mouse position

- no keyboard shortcuts

- mouse pointer shape is weird sometimes, does not change correctly with a URL
in konqueror/firefox

- window decorations are weird, some of them are breeze, some of them get
plastiq(ish)

Guess, in another release, it would be good.
--
Regards
 Shridhar