[arch-general] Performance with Linux Bridge

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Sun Dec 27 20:05:05 UTC 2015

On 27.12.2015 19:23, Carlos Ferreira wrote:
> I'm using Arch Linux in a SuperMicro A1SAi-2750F motherboard and I'm having
> performance issues while bridging 3 Ethernet Gigabit network interfaces.
> The 4th network interface of that motherboard, is used to connect to the
> ISP.
> [..]
> I conducted a small iperf3 test. The scenario was:
> PC A (100Mbps) <---> Server Ether 1(1Gbps) <---> Linux Bridge (br0) <--->
> Server Ether 2 (1Gbps) <---> PC B (1Gbps)

Are these values from a tool like ethtool or are they just what you
think they should be? I've sometimes had bad cables/connectors cause
speeds to be limited to 100Mbit instead of gbit.

As for software problems you'd need to provide/look at some more details
like cpu load, interrupts, top, htop, dstat -lpma, mpstat -I ALL, dmesg.
That cpu should be able to easily handle gbit speed though and a bridge
in linux should be able to far exceed your network speeds.

Hope that helps,
Florian