[arch-general] ssd trim using fstrim.service and fstrim.timer

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 17:31:43 UTC 2015

> > Note: I could just add "discard" to /etc/fstab, but wouldn't that
> > wear out
> > the SSD faster than periodic trimming?
>
> I don't know precise numbers, but IME none of those made a difference
> performace-wise. I'd say if SSD wear is a problem (i.e. if you
> estimate it
> within expected usage time of the device), just switch to a HDD.
>
> HTH,

Using discard will cause less wear than using fstrim or not using TRIM
at all. TRIM gives the SSD more freedom to do wear levelling.

Anyway, wear isn't an issue on anything but low quality hardware. Even
the consumer class drives like Samsung's EVO line are going to take 5+
years to burn through the P/E cycles with extremely heavy usage. You
can keep track via the SMART data. Samsung drives have an entry with
the number of P/E cycles so far and the percentage of remaining life
and other vendors probably have a similar field (but perhaps not with
the same transparency).