[arch-general] ssd trim using fstrim.service and fstrim.timer

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 21:47:34 UTC 2015

On 28-12-2015 19:51, Anthony Mapes wrote:

> It's worth noting that most hard drive life estimates are very conservative.
>
> https://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment
>
> All of the drives in the test lasted far beyond the manufacturer's
> expected lifetime, and a 2 drives on to take over two *petabytes* of
> writes before dying.

You should take that with a grain of salt, sure they "lasted" that long
but they were completely dead afterwards. Also I'd say that they haven't
properly tested data retention, flash can store data for less time when
it is reaching end of life, so if you plan to use the drive until it
dies make sure you do regular backups.

--
Mauro Santos