[arch-general] [OT?] Which is most future-proof desktop environment?

Maarten de Vries maarten at de-vri.es
Wed Dec 30 12:19:48 UTC 2015

On 30 December 2015 at 10:19, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:

> More generally, what do you mean by "work-flow", and how have DEs like
> KDE and Gnome broken "the work-flow" in the past?

​For a good rant on some things that are wrong with Gnome 3 ​ (and GTK 3):
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

On 30 December 2015 at 12:49, Leonid Isaev <leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu>
wrote:

> On the contrary, things like {open,flux}box and tiling WMs (i3, jwm) still
> use
> a design from '90s. And from olden days of Win98 we remember what it leads
> to.

In my experience, it leads to very productive and happy users that don't
have to change the way they use their computer every time some dev or
designer decides to "streamline the user experience" by removing useful
features or adding extra empty space everywhere.

-- Maarten