[arch-general] Why are CA certifcates writable for every user?

Marcel Kleinfeller marcel at oompf.de
Thu Feb 5 19:12:31 UTC 2015

Hello!

When I'm doing "cd /etc/ssl/certs/ && ls -al" I see something like this:

[...]
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    102 21. Dez 17:56
Verisign_Class_1_Public_Primary_Certification_Authority_-_G3.pem ->
../../ca-certificates/extracted/cadir/Verisign_Class_1_Public_Primary_Certification_Authority_-_G3.pem
[...]

All certificates are publicly writable.

I never set chmod to 777 on this directory and I see a great security
lack here.
Any program could inject its own certificate there, you should know this
isn't good ;)

Tell me whether this is just an issue on my own system or a general issue.

Marcel Kleinfeller <marcel at oompf.de>