[arch-general] startx failed: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Operation not permitted

Csányi Pál csanyipal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 11:14:28 UTC 2015

> On 06/02/15 11:33, Csányi Pál wrote:
>> But, when I start X with 'startx' command, I get the error mentioned
>> in subject of this mail.
>>
>> What am I missing here?
>>
> Since xorg-server 1.16, X is rootless by default (see
> https://www.archlinux.org/news/xorg-server-116-is-now-available/).
>
> This doesn't work out of the box with proprietary drivers, so create a
> file */etc/X11/Xwrapper.config* with the content *needs_root_rights =
> no* (see
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Rootless_Xorg_.28v1.16.29).

Thanks!
I have now the '/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config' file with the
content 'needs_root_rights = no'

Still can't start with 'startx' the X Window system.

I looked into kernel log with 'dmesg | less' and searched for NVIDIA.
I found followings:
nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
nvidia disagrees about version of symbol node_data
nvidia: Unknown symbol node_data (err -22)

What can I do to solve this problem?

--
Regards from Pal