[arch-general] anyone interested in a multilib qt-at-spi package?

LoneVVolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 7 12:04:51 UTC 2015

On 07-02-15 04:34, kendell clark wrote:
> hi all
>   I'm not sure how to begin this, but here goes. In order for screen
> readers, like orca, to be able to access applications written in qt4
> (qt5 handles all of this built in}, it needs a package called
> qt-at-spi. This is a bridge of sorts which links the qt accessibility
> API's to the at-spi daemon which orca uses to read the screen. This is
> in community, so this all works. However, there's an issue that's just
> obscure enough that I'm not sure how to handle it. The issue arises
> when 64 bit linux installations try to talk to 32 bit qt applications.
> Since the qt at-spi bridge is 64 bit, it can't communicate with the 32
> bit app, so orca cannot read it. THis makes applications such as
> teamviewer and skype completely inaccessible on 64 bit systsms. I'm
> not certain teamviewer is written in qt, but I do knos skype is. Ok,
> ramble over. Is anyone interested in building a 32 bit version of the
> qt-at-spi package and possibly throwing it in multilib? THis does not
> need any maintenance, since this is only for qt4 applications, the
> package has been deprecated since the code has been murged into qt5.
> I've tried a few workarounds to no avail. I've tried downloading the
> i686 package and trying to get pacman to install it, this didn't work.
> I tried extracting the actual .so files out and placing them in lib32,
> but I don't know enough about how the underlying system works to make
> this work.
> Thoughts?
> Kendell clarK

Kendell,

Many lib32 programs are build on x86_64 by instructing the compiler to
build 32-bit code.
The [extra] lib32-mesa package shows how that can be done.

Also look at lib32-at-spi2-core & lib32-at-spi2-atk in AUR.
If at-spi2 is not the version you need, you can probably use them as
template for creating lib32-at-spi-* packages.

LVV