[arch-general] [extra] package depending on [community] package

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 12 13:26:19 UTC 2015

On 11 February 2015 at 09:39, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wasn't there a guideline somewhere against this? Should I raise bugs
> when I see this is taking place?
>
> Specific example that I just noticed is mpd, because libnfs in
> community updated. Of course, mpd was updated within 12 hours or so,
> and I understand packages are mostly best maintained by those who
> actually know/care about the project, hence I just want to ask the
> question, is this considered a bug or not?

Optional deps can be in a repo lower in the hierarchy. I don't know
when folks started leaving runtime deps in a lower repo, but ideally
that should not happen. The rationale for this is simple: choose to
disable [community], and see if any package breaks. Likewise, choose
to disable [extra], and see if any package from [core] breaks. This is
about the only functional requirement that needs to be met, and any
practice that violates this is bad practice.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1