[arch-general] syslog-ng + systemd-journald = no logs for syslog-ng

Martin S. Weber Ephaeton at gmx.net
Mon Feb 16 07:45:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-15 08:34:23, Troy Engel wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 3:37 AM,  <Ephaeton at gmx.net> wrote:
> > ## vanilla /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf
> > # grep -v '^#' /etc/systemd/journald.conf
> >

> It sounds like syslog-ng doesn't understand where the source is - (...)

In fact, you pointed me to the solution. Leonid was suspecting it, and
your manual link actually confirmed it. The generated configuration file
is "fine", the symlinks are there etc. Here's the relevant portion of the
manual text:

"If the host is running under systemd, syslog-ng OSE reads directly
from the systemd journal file using the systemd-journal() source" (6.11, p96 :)

Now, with journald.conf "Storage=None", this cannot work, obviously.

systemd-induced design brainfuck spreading... why would one follow a file when
you have a socket already in place for some 30 years.

I'll have a more detailed look at Leonid's suggestion, as that seems to be
the way to go.

Thanks Troy.