[arch-general] Severity of Failed checksum for PKGBUILD

Mark Lee mark at markelee.com
Thu Feb 19 20:34:31 UTC 2015

On 02/19/2015 03:28 PM, Doug Newgard wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:15:42 -0500
> Mark Lee <mark at markelee.com> wrote:
>
>> Salutations,
>>
>> After trying to build the mpv-0.8.0-1 and finding that the PKGBUILD's
>> checksum was incorrect, I filed a bug report. See
>> <https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/43882?project=5&cat%5B0%5D=33&string=mpv>.
>>
>> I filed it under "critical" since an incorrect checksum means that the
>> package was built from source that doesn't match upstream's source. I
>> was told it's not a critical issue and it was downgraded to medium. I'm
>> wondering why incorrect checksums aren't considered "critical".
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mark
>
> The checksum matched when the package was built or it wouldn't have built for
> the maintainer, either. This means it's not a security issue, the only way it
> could be considered critical. All it means is that upstream changed something,
> only really affecting people trying to build from the PKGBUILDs. Normally, I
> would make this low severity, as it really doesn't matter that much.
>
> Doug

To Doug,

While I am not accusing the packager of any misdeeds since another bug
report indicates that there was an upstream change; a correct PKGBUILD
should be able to be rebuilt. If the package cannot be rebuilt using the
same PKGBUILD linked to upstream, how can one trust that there hasn't
been some tampering with the package source outside of the PKGBUILD?

Regards,
Mark