[arch-general] LightDM GTK+ Greeter 2.0.0

Pablo Lezaeta Reyes prflr88 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:33:44 UTC 2015

>Hi all,
>
>Version 2.0.0 of the LightDM GTK greeter was released about week ago.
>This release drops GTK2 support.

That's ironic, Xfce recommend lightdm as DM for the gtk2 theme, and the
upcomimng xfce-gtk-engine 3.1 drop gtk3 support.

>Therefore I propose to rename the current "lightdm-gtk3-greeter" into
>"lightdm-gtk-greeter" and drop the legacy "lightdm-gtk2-greeter" to AUR.
looking oxygen keep the gtk3 in AUR gtk3 only themes tend to use gtk3 and
gtk2 only thend to use gtk or gtk2, I will preffer keep the 3 in the name.
>I could keep "lightdm-gtk2-greeter" around for a while in [community] if
>some people want me to (I'm thinking people using MATE for example,
>but it's going towards GTK3 anyway), but keep in mind that you can use
>LXDM instead if you really need a GTK2 display manager.
Or Xfce4 users, the upcoming xfce4 release is gtk2, and only after that the
migration to gtk3 will start.
so a gtk2-greeter will be apreciated until xfce drop gtk2, and dont forget
that LXDM is now presumably unmaintained or in low maintainance since they
migrate to QT

>If there aren't any objections by the end of the week, I'll proceed with my
>proposal.

Me

--
*Pablo Lezaeta*