[arch-general] LightDM GTK+ Greeter 2.0.0

Pablo Lezaeta Reyes prflr88 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 06:15:00 UTC 2015

On 02/25/2015 04:33 PM, Pablo Lezaeta Reyes wrote:
>>>* Hi all,
*>>>>>>* Version 2.0.0 of the LightDM GTK greeter was released about week ago.
*>>>* This release drops GTK2 support.
*>>>>*> That's ironic, Xfce recommend lightdm as DM for the gtk2 theme, and the
*>*> upcomimng xfce-gtk-engine 3.1 drop gtk3 support.
*>*>
*>
>From what I saw, it didn't drop it. It just disabled it by default, which
>makes sense given that the desktop is GTK+2 only and they don't want to
>unnecessary pull in the gtk+3 dep only for the engine.

3.1.0 taged http://git.xfce.org/xfce/gtk-xfce-engine/tree/NEWS

verbatim from the news: "Gtk+-3 support has been stopped"

I asume they keep it but they stop supporting so I think unles a patch
that fix all the themes emerge wldly, will be better drop xfce3-gtk-engine
or the entire xfce-gtk-engine, but that mostly prove that they not
support gtk3, drop gtk2-greeter will render without a wai to use a gtk2 only
environment since lxdm is mostly no-more-maintained and is better have a greeter
than a binary unsupported.

Also xfce4 recomend greybird as theme for xfce if someone need a gtk2-gtk3 theme

>>>* Therefore I propose to rename the current "lightdm-gtk3-greeter" into
*>>>* "lightdm-gtk-greeter" and drop the legacy "lightdm-gtk2-greeter" to AUR.
*>*> looking oxygen keep the gtk3 in AUR gtk3 only themes tend to use gtk3 and
*>*> gtk2 only thend to use gtk or gtk2, I will preffer keep the 3 in the name.
*>>*> I could keep "lightdm-gtk2-greeter" around for a while in [community] if
*>>*> some people want me to (I'm thinking people using MATE for example,
*>>*> but it's going towards GTK3 anyway), but keep in mind that you can use
*>>>* LXDM instead if you really need a GTK2 display manager.
*>*> Or Xfce4 users, the upcoming xfce4 release is gtk2, and only after that the
*>*> migration to gtk3 will start.
*>*> so a gtk2-greeter will be apreciated until xfce drop gtk2, and dont forget
*>*> that LXDM is now presumably unmaintained or in low maintainance since they
*>*> migrate to QT
*>>>>>*> If there aren't any objections by the end of the week, I'll
proceed with my
*>>*> proposal.
*>>>>*> Me
*>*>
*>>>* Cheers,
*>>

tldr; I will go for keep gtk2-greeter for  xfce4 user since lxdm is
semi-unmaintained and better a unmaintained theme that a
binary.
someone know if slim keep working with systemd, last time was buggy
or not start or not let thing start at all (like logind)

--
*Pablo Lezaeta*