[arch-general] LightDM GTK+ Greeter 2.0.0

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 26 13:31:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Pablo Lezaeta Reyes <prflr88 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> *>>>>>>* Version 2.0.0 of the LightDM GTK greeter was released about week
> ago.
> *>>>* This release drops GTK2 support.
> *>>>>*> That's ironic, Xfce recommend lightdm as DM for the gtk2 theme,
> and the
> *>*> upcomimng xfce-gtk-engine 3.1 drop gtk3 support.
> *>*>
> *>
> >From what I saw, it didn't drop it. It just disabled it by default, which
> >makes sense given that the desktop is GTK+2 only and they don't want to
> >unnecessary pull in the gtk+3 dep only for the engine.
> >
> 3.1.0 taged http://git.xfce.org/xfce/gtk-xfce-engine/tree/NEWS
>
> verbatim from the news: "Gtk+-3 support has been stopped"
>
> I asume they keep it but they stop supporting so I think unles a patch
> that fix all the themes emerge wldly, will be better drop xfce3-gtk-engine
> or the entire xfce-gtk-engine, but that mostly prove that they not
> support gtk3, drop gtk2-greeter will render without a wai to use a gtk2
> only
> environment since lxdm is mostly no-more-maintained and is better have a
> greeter
> than a binary unsupported.
>
> Also xfce4 recomend greybird as theme for xfce if someone need a gtk2-gtk3
> theme

> *>>>* "lightdm-gtk-greeter" and drop the legacy "lightdm-gtk2-greeter" to
> AUR.
> *>*> looking oxygen keep the gtk3 in AUR gtk3 only themes tend to use gtk3
> and
> *>*> gtk2 only thend to use gtk or gtk2, I will preffer keep the 3 in the
> name.
> *>>*> I could keep "lightdm-gtk2-greeter" around for a while in
> [community] if
> *>>*> some people want me to (I'm thinking people using MATE for example,
> *>>*> but it's going towards GTK3 anyway), but keep in mind that you can
> use
> *>>>* LXDM instead if you really need a GTK2 display manager.
> *>*> Or Xfce4 users, the upcoming xfce4 release is gtk2, and only after
> that the
> *>*> migration to gtk3 will start.
> *>*> so a gtk2-greeter will be apreciated until xfce drop gtk2, and dont
> forget
> *>*> that LXDM is now presumably unmaintained or in low maintainance since
> they
> *>*> migrate to QT
> *>>>>>*> If there aren't any objections by the end of the week, I'll
> proceed with my
> *>>*> proposal.
> *>>>>*> Me
> *>*>
> *>>>* Cheers,
> *>>
>
> tldr; I will go for keep gtk2-greeter for  xfce4 user since lxdm is
> semi-unmaintained and better a unmaintained theme that a
> binary.
> someone know if slim keep working with systemd, last time was buggy
> [...]

LXDM is a different story because AFAIK it hasn't been officially
abandonned, whereas the LightDM GTK2 greeter has, meaning I essentially
become upstream if I continue to package it. Anyone is free to keep
maintining it in AUR though, it won't be lost into oblivion. Also, as Ralf
mentioned, even for a GTK2 desktop, the GTK3 greeter will work just fine if
you can live with a few more megabytes.

As for the change of name, we always try to follow upstream's naming, the
GTK2 drop is a good opportunity to abide by that. FTR nearly all other
distros have had a single "lightdm-gtk-greeter" package for a while now,
providing only the GTK3 greeter even when GTK2 was still an option.

Since a lot less people than I expected seem to object, I pushed 2.0.0 in
[community-testing] for now, please give it a spin.

Cheers,
--
Maxime