[arch-general] list of user/group ids supplied by official packages

Troy Engel troyengel+arch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 14:57:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Troy Engel <troyengel+arch at gmail.com> wrote:

>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database

...and the first one I came across wasn't listed (git), I looked at
it's .INSTALL file and see it's dynamic:

====
post_install() {
  if ! getent group git >/dev/null; then
    groupadd --system git
  fi
  if ! getent passwd git >/dev/null; then
    useradd --system -c 'git daemon user' -g git -d / -s /bin/bash git
  fi
}
====

So there are core/extra/community packages using the system dynamic
method which is probably what you should do as well, since everyone's
'git' UID/GID are most likely different. :( Makes it hard if you need
to align across a cluster/shared filesystem, though.

-te