[arch-general] makepkg as root

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Jan 3 05:54:57 UTC 2015

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 22:08:37 +0100, Yamakaky wrote:
> > Again, I don't care about the makepkg options, I care about the
> > principle of backwards compatibility in general.
>
> idem, I was going to post about it.

"Ralf Mardorf on 2015/01/03 at 3:44 PM said:

Hi,

don’t get me wrong, most of my scripts start with something similar to

if [ “$(id -u)” = “0” ]; then printf “\nDon’t run this script as root :).\n\n”; exit 1; fi

However, to claim that software using an option of makepkg is
super-bad, because it does use this option and to quote an opinion from
folks using another distro, especially if it’s unrelated to backwards
compatibility, doesn’t make a wrong decision a good one.

If our software is old, we notice some mistakes and it’s good not to
continue a mistake. Anyway, revised software should be backwards
compatible as much as possible. To drop an option, or even just
renaming an option is a bad idea.

I guess dropping ‘–asroot’ isn’t a big issue. It’s ok, but consider to
keep other software really backwards compatible. It shouldn’t become a
fashion to ignore backwards compatibility.

Happy New Year!
Ralf" - http://allanmcrae.com/2014/12/pacman-4-2-released/#comment-1268

I really wonder why explained opinions need to be attacked with insults.
Regarding to quotes about Linux in general, Linus Torvalds might be a
better source than Redhat biased mailing lists.