[arch-general] makepkg as root

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Jan 5 02:55:23 UTC 2015

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 20:25:11 -0600, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> I myself would dearly love to know what precisely about removing a
> discouraged option qualifies as a major change.

Maybe the answer depends to the reason, that the discouraged option was
provided for some _unknown_ reason. I absolutely agree that dropping
--asroot is something we can accept. But I'm likely not the only one
who noticed that backwards compatibility became a serious issue for
Linux user space software. I mentioned Torvalds, because even he is
unable to make clear why some policies are completely wrong. At least
he has got the decision-making power not to implement everything into
the kernel. If those guys who quote Redhad sources as the one and only
truth would have more decision-making power, than Torvalds has got, our
kernels would be buggy Redhad ruled things, with broken dbus
implementation and other damages. Fortunately the kernel is protected,
but user space isn't protect, so IMO we should be noisy when things
happen that might be borderline.

--
IMO this is one of the oddest statements ever:

"Linux has never been about ‘choice’ or ‘freedom’ and those myths should
just die out.

Read:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html"
- http://allanmcrae.com/2014/12/pacman-4-2-released/#comment-1256

Actually I use Linux (kernel and user space software) because it at
least _was_ about manifoldness and libre (FLOSS).
                                           ^"L" is for libre