[arch-general] Standard group for "hardware user"?

Neale Pickett neale at woozle.org
Mon Jan 5 19:12:41 UTC 2015

I run mdev instead of systemd-udev and was just alerted to the deprecation
of all the groups I'd been using. Looking at the filesystem package, it
seems that most of them are still present, but I presume they'll go away
eventually.

What, then, would be the best group for me to use for "a user who is
allowed to do things with hardware"? That is, a combination of audio,
video, disk, optical, and uucp (which, strangely, is not deprecated). I'm
considering "wheel" but that doesn't feel right. And I really don't want to
add a new group, I feel like this notion ought to be part of the base
install, even though systemd appears to have reworked how Unix device
access is controlled.

Thanks in advance,

Neale