[arch-general] Standard group for "hardware user"?

Neale Pickett neale at woozle.org
Mon Jan 5 23:42:15 UTC 2015

I'm not going to remove any groups, but I want to make sure I'm not
configuring mdev to set ownership to a group that may not exist in the
future. I will probably create a new group called "hardware" that will
allow users to access audio, video, serial, and USB storage devices, and
use Posix ACLs to set individual permissions for daemons like mpd. Things
that are packaged now should continue to work (or not) as normal with
Arch's default filesystem groups if they're using my mdev/runit setup.

I do have systemd installed. Too many things depend on it for me to remove
it. If I could remove or recompile X11, tcpdump (libusb), nfs-utils
(device-mapper), and procps-ng, I think I might be able to remove the
systemd package. But I have enough work already, I don't need to go
recompiling stuff just to get rid a single dependency! :)