[arch-general] Is there a non file manager daemon for automounting like the ones provided by "pcmanfm -d"

Tom Wambold tom5760 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 14:18:08 UTC 2015

Hi Javier:

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using "pcmanfm -d &" in my ~/.xinitrc, as suggested by [1].
> However I would like something similar without the need of the file
> manager.  Hopefully something that shows in the tray bar what's
> mounted and allows umounting.
>
> I don't use a DE, just plain fluxbox, and having to use whether
> pcmanfm or thunar or any other file manager with daemon capability is
> something I would like to prevent.
>
> I read about ldm, suggested by [2], but it doesn't seem to offer what
> I'm looking for.  Seems to be something to automount with particular
> uid/gid only.  though I might be wrong.
>
> Any suggestions?

I wrote a small C program a while ago that automounts removable devices
using udisks2 [1].  I've been using it for a while, and it seems to work
well.  You might find it useful; it's in the AUR at [2].  It
optionally will use desktop
notifications to tell you when something is mounted (I use dunst [3] to
display them).

You do have to manually unmount devices using the terminal, but that's
usually easier if you have good tab completion in your shell.

-Tom

[1]: https://github.com/tom5760/usermount
[2]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/usermount-git/
[3]: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/dunst/