[arch-general] Is there a non file manager daemon for automounting like the ones provided by "pcmanfm -d"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Jan 10 17:44:33 UTC 2015

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 10:06:02 -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> > FWIW usermount shouldn't be used with external green HDDs, it does
> > cause the known issue ;). I didn't test if udiskie suffers from
> > this issue too. I still prefer to mount manually using scripts.
> > Rodent (and a few other tools, have forgotten the names) btw.
> > allows to mount by a click and doesn't wake up external green
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > drives. This might or might be something the OP should consider.
>   ^^^^^^^                    ^ not
> What is the known issue with external green HDDs?  Is that common to
> using udisk2 (if so, "udiskie -2" does suffer it)?

I don't now what exactly does cause the issue. But GVFS does wake up
Green drives without a reason, since by EU Regulation external drives
have to spin down and go to sleep after a while and it's good that they
do so. However, spinning down and up without a reason just damages the
drives. That's why I have GVFS replaced by a dummy package. Usermount
does cause the same issue. Rodent doesn't!

I have udisks and udisks2 installed since a very long time, at least
they alone don't cause the issue.

FWIW KDE has something similar to GVFS. After running K3B my external
Green USB HDD spins down and up again and again too. I never found out
what does cause this ugly behaviour for KDE.

I'm not using one of the bloated DEs. I'm using openbox and JWM and
most of the times for drive and file related "things" I'm using
RoxTerm. IOW I manually mount and unmount drives, but using scripts, so
that I can do this by using labels, or explicitly for an optical drive.

Reporting this as a bug is useless, I tried, but first the coders balme
the HDD companies and after explaining that it's an EU Regulation, they
blame the "minority" of idiots like me who are from the EU. Pff, I
don't care, I don't need GVFS and similar software for my work-flow.

This issue is known since several years.