[arch-general] An archlinux-python package for managing system default python version?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:17:26 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 8:07 AM, Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Python actively encourages you to write the python shebang explicitly
> either #!/usr/bin/env python2 or #!/usr/bin/env python3 for scripts
> that are not compatible with one of them. It is no longer practical to
> make any assumptions about the python version in the (unversioned)
> python binary, therefore your argument about java doesn't hold. Since
> the developers themselves support this conclusion [0], there is no
> reason to still have the symlink and hence we should actually abolish
> it completely, which I expect to happen in the long run.
>
> [0] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

Actually, I believe the default /usr/bin/python symlink makes sense to
have, in order to be used for python scripts that don't care which python
they use.

Let us assume someone has only python3 or python2, does it make sense to
prevent people from using polyglot code simply because an arbitrary
decision was made to assume one or the other is the official python version
to run the code under?

-- Eli Schwartz