[arch-general] systemd new dependencies impede using OpenRC

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Jul 2 14:44:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 09:24:42 -0400, Daniel Micay wrote:
>Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom.

I disagree.

>> it is not simple, not minimalist, and not user-centric.
>
>Certainly not minimalist, but those other two claims are questionable.

I agree.

Reasoning:

With everything Arch provides regarding it's policy, it's following the
KISS principle. Since software from upstream usually is not split into
tons of packages, it might be not minimalist, but even this could be
handled, since pacman.conf provides the NoExtract option. Assumed a
package comes with an unneeded dependency, it's easy to provide an
empty dummy package to resolve this unneeded dependency. There's no
need to compile it from ABS with special configure options, assumed the
dependency is really unneeded.

The user centric-freedom still is, that we users could make our
individual installs, the way we like it, without much pain, by e.g.
providing outdated libs and resolving unneeded dependencies.

I'm not in favour of systemd, but for me the drawbacks caused by
systemd are still big nothing compared to the advantages provided by
Arch Linux, IOW I like the KISS principle policy and the user-centric
policy.

The fight against systemd was lost a long time ago. We can live with
systemd or use another distro, period. If we are using Arch with
systemd and run into issues, we are free to send requests to this list
or a forum.

IMO we shouldn't continue another Arch systemd policy thread, since we
finished this discussion a long, long time ago.

Regards,
Ralf