[arch-general] systemd new dependencies impede using OpenRC

Olivier Langlois olivier at olivierlanglois.net
Thu Jul 2 16:57:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-07-02 at 09:24 -0400, Daniel Micay wrote:
> On 01/07/15 02:36 PM, João Miguel wrote:
> > First of all, thank you for such a quick reply.
> >
> > Now, I don't want to preach. But I will not pretend I chose Arch
> > Linux at
> > random. I chose it for many reasons, an important one of them being
> > that
> > I liked the Arch Way, it made sense to me, and it seemed you were
> > following it. Now it seems to belong to a forgotten past.
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 10:34:01AM -0400, Daniel Micay wrote:
> > > Arch is as much a systemd-based distribution as it is a Pacman
> > > -based
> > > distribution at this point. (...)
> > Is it now? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
>
> That's an unprotected page on the wiki, not an authoritative source
> on
> anything to do with the distribution.
>
> Arch has always been a simple distribution in terms of the developer
> perspective, not the user one. Using systemd made it simpler than
> ever
> in that regard because much more work is taken care of by both the
> systemd developers and all of the projects shipping unit files.
>
> It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is
> rare
> compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made
> optional
> whenever possible.

It seems these types of discussion pops out once in a while.
Personally, I think that systemd has a lot qualities. The only thing
that I do not like about it it is that does not follow the UNIX
philosophy. Philosophy that has made UNIX/Linux so successful for so
many years. Read The Art of UNIX Programming from Eric Raymond to know
what that philosophy really is.

That being said, no one can really complain given that you receive what
you have paid for. I understand that very influent people among the
Arch dev community are also major contributors of systemd so it is
quite natural that ArchLinux is a systemd based dist.

Red Hat has interests in systemd success. Who can blame an organisation
trying to dominate and success? It is the nature of the beast...

As a user, despite not having easy alternatives if I wanted to switch
to a different init system, ArchLinux still provide the best Linux
experience that I ever had!