[arch-general] systemd new dependencies impede using OpenRC

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Fri Jul 3 13:16:20 UTC 2015

I can't overtly fault the logic in that blog post for the most part.
However he does still basically toe the "Unix philosophy" line (Talking
about modularity and such.)

The thing that bothers me most about this document though is how he
dismisses systemd's legitimate, if not unique, features as "propaganda." He
also tends to talk about flaws in how systemd is written but doesn't seem
to explain that, go into rants about Poettering not long after dismissing
one of the common statements being "you just hate systemd because
Poeterring," etc.

I must be that rare breed of systemd supporter who actually actively
DISLIKES Poettering. When he started Pulseaudio and it started breaking
everyone's sound, he went into a mantra of "ALSA's broken" instead, despite
the fact ALSA, even standalone, worked just fine without PA. That said I
now use Pulseaudio, because once it matured it stopped breaking sound as
much. I'm not a fan of how it demands to "own" all sound on the system, but
I can get over that.

Add point 5, though, to the typical anti-systemd rants when boiled down: 5:
I hate Lennart Poeterring.