[arch-general] current flash vulnerabilities - what to do?

David Kaylor dpkaylor at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 02:15:25 UTC 2015

I don't know how exactly this thread morphed into a debate about
Chrome/Chromium vs. Firefox, or Google vs. Mozilla (Although I think Daniel
Micay makes some interesting points re Google vs. Mozilla.), but for now,
flashplugin-11.2.202.491-1 has finally been released. And while that's
great for linux firefox users who still need or want to use flash, take
note of the fact that it took a week for Adobe to release it. Three days
after the more recent versions (18 and 13). Extraordinary circumstances,
yes, but it shows Adobe's priorities. Users should also remember, they've
only committed to maintaining the NPAPI linux version until mid-2017.
Bottomline, time to start trying your daily firefox browsing without flash
and see how bad it is. I did it for a week in firefox and only one of my
regular sites (teamcoco.com) required it for actual content.

Also, re WebRTC issues, the latest uBlock Origin plugin has a settings
option, turned off by default, to prevent IP leaking.