[arch-general] Arch Linux trademark and docker images

Christoph Seitz seitz.christoph at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 10:56:32 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I just stumbled on the following [1] blog post, which says that shipping
ubuntu docker images with modifications (e.g. web app, etc.) might be a
violation of trademarks. I was wondering wether this also applies to
arch linux, since the trademark policy [2] is derived from ubuntu
somehow. Especially if you use aur packages inside the container, the
trademark policy insists on a trademark license. I found some packages
[3] that include aur packages.

The FSF started a dialog with Canonical in order to allow such
customization based on ubuntu. [4] Am I right with my assumption, that
docker images with aur packages need a trademark license? Would it be a
possibility to change the policy in oder to allow such works as docker
images with aur packages?

Regards,
Christoph

---