[arch-general] smartctl - 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count

Jens Adam jra at byte.cx
Fri Jul 24 11:50:36 UTC 2015

I wouldn't worry about it.

I've seen desktop HDDs with way over 50000 Power_On_Hours (and
server disks running six figures) but it's depending on usage,
handling, temperatures and possibly a whole lot more. See
https://www.backblaze.com/hard-drive.html for some stats.

The things I look at first in smartctl outputs (besides "PASSED") are
self-tests and sector defects:
- run 'smartctl -t short' and 'smartctl -t long' (expect to wait 2h/TB)
- 'smartctl -A /dev/sdX | grep Sector' should show zeros

For hard disks running continously I'd recommend setting up smartd.

--byte