[arch-general] at times when booting system-logind fails and system hangs

Steven Noonan steven at uplinklabs.net
Fri May 8 22:03:54 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 4:11 AM, Mark Lee <mark at markelee.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is unrelated, but does Arch Linux respect rootwait?
>
> Linux does, :-)  I don't need on this laptop, but I have Arch also on
> a USB disk, and for that one, at times linux doesn't find root, so I
> found it just needed to wait for it to become available...
>
>> I don't see any issues in there that'd cause your systemd issues. Did you try
>> reinstalling systemd?
>
> No I haven't.  Though I wouldn't suppose such re-install (if no new
> version implied) would help.  I'll upgrade Arch to see.  The other
> option is to tried the systemd patches, or the patched systemd offered
> by Christian.  I haven't done that either...

For what it's worth I've been having these same issues. systemd-logind
fails to start with "connection timed out" and then everything is
useless until the machine is reset. On most of my machines it happens
in maybe 1 out of every 10 boots, but on one of my machines it's
*every* boot. I can't figure out what's causing it, even with
systemd.log_level=debug.

I'm noticing that right before the systemd-logind timeout messages it
tries to start "dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork
--nopidfile --systemd-activation" -- it seems like this should have
happened much earlier though, when dbus.socket started. Or am I
misunderstanding the relationship between dbus.socket and
dbus.service?

- Steven