[arch-general] Why irrelevant updates?

Scott Lawrence bytbox at gmail.com
Tue May 12 22:51:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

pacman will request to update all installed packages. If you think you don't
need a certain package, -Rscn it. Not upgrading a package that you
nevertheless keep installed is probably a Bad Idea (as you realize).

That being said, there's no major disadvantage (disk space issues
notwithstanding) to having packages installed that you never use. If those
programs aren't ever run, then they won't slow anything down.