[arch-general] Limiting pacman's IO rate

Yannis Juglaret yjuglaret at gmail.com
Fri May 22 08:49:52 UTC 2015

Hello,

Thanks for the hints! Solution #1 looks great. As for solution #2, I
don't have any problem downloading the ghc package (which is "only" 71.7
MB) but only installing it (which requires 738.2 MB), so my guess is
that pacman -U would trigger the same problem, but mixing #1 and #2
could be useful for bigger packages (if any).

However, I also have great news on my side. If I enable the "Use host IO
caching" option, VirtualBox stops trying to manage the disk IO cache
itself, and everything works just fine. So that's probably where the bug
was located. Problem solved!

For the record, I have a guess regarding why my commands didn't seem to
affect pacman: blkio will only limit direct IO rate, not cached IO, so
unless the program you execute performs direct IO you can't notice the
change.

Thanks,

-- Yannis