[arch-general] no screen grabber

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri May 22 13:50:30 UTC 2015

On Fri, 22 May 2015 08:42:59 -0400, James wrote:
>Are the official packages binary packages and the AUR is compiling
>from source?
>That's what it seems like.
>
>How do I search for a binary screen grabber package?

Hi James,

in /etc/pacman.conf you can add repositories for usage with pacman.

If "pacman -Si screengrab" can't find it, non of the
repositories does provide it.

AUR and ABS don't provide binaries, they provide PKGBUILDs.

There are Wikis explaining how to use Arch Linux.

I recommend you read about
pacman
makepkg
tools such as e.g.
yaourt

Start with https://www.archlinux.org/ , on top there's a link
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ the Wiki has got a search engine.

You likely will get links as
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

The first sentence of the AUR Wiki:
"The Arch User Repository (AUR) is a community-driven repository for
Arch users. It contains package descriptions (PKGBUILDs) that allow you
to compile a package from source with makepkg and then install it via
pacman."

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Yaourt

At the moment ABS seems to be unimportant for you.

Hth,
Ralf

--
It only looks like a tape-recorder. It's actually a pen.
So you can write with it and no one will know.